Tuesday, May 22, 2012

turkey turkey i love turkey

we left for turkey Sunday morning! i don't think very many of us had high expectations. The study abroad used to include a trip to Egypt instead, but now that Egypt isn't safe they send us to Turkey. Istanbul has probably become my most favorite city in Europe. (yeah, it's in Europe).  


just hanging out in the tel aviv airport. please note annie and rachel smiling back there.
our first picture in turkey

bonding over dinner (gross 6 course meals..no less) with steph, me, rachel, anna marie, rachelle, and melissa
They really loved to feed us in turkey. We literally had like 6 course meals at lunch and dinner every day. It was kind of an overload. Especially because meals always consisted of:
-bread (carb overload)
-lentil soup
-salad with weird or no dressing
-mystery meat with a weird sauce
-fruit (i ate that)
-always a strange dessert that rarely tasted good but at least it was semi-sweet)

Because our meals weren't great we had one too many Magnum bars. I had at least one a day. But when it was all I could eat I felt better about it.

On our first day in turkey we went on a fun cruise of the Bosphorous strait!
stehly, david, david, nate, john, and shelly!

matching sweatshirts! roommates minus annie :( we always miss annie. She has brother harper so we are always separated. 


i'm craving chocolate chip cookies like you would not believe. so if anyone out there loves me....................

We also went to a cool little mosque where we had to wear headscarves...that was fun.

and then, we went to the grand bazaar. they had the cutest shoes. and they promised us we'd be able to back. but they lied and we did not go back. it was a sad day.

also, we had a dance party on the bus.

Now I have to study for an Old Testament test that I have tomorrow morning. More about turkey later!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictures and update Hay. You look healthy, happy and beautiful! I love Magnum bars too. I wonder if they have them anywhere in the states?! I feel like I've seen them somewhere...We will have to begin a search for them. Good luck on the midterms and don't be shy about putting up more photos if you can!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm.... Magnum bars.... they had them in Brazil... WICKED awesome things! I wanna have a magnum party when you get home... Ha! I typed MANGUM party... that would be fun too! :D Kisses!

    ReplyDelete