Sunday, May 13, 2012

turkeyturkeyturkey


Lots of updates!
On Wednesday night I went to a very cool Jewish holiday celebration! There were literally no tourists there (except for 12 BYU students…and we are not tourists. We are pilgrims). The holiday is called Lag BaOmer. (look it up). I don’t know too much about it because everybody was speaking Yiddish so I couldn’t ask. We were at the super orthodox celebrations…so it was intense. We got in trouble a few times for being on the boy’s side. Scary. It was the first time in my entire life where I couldn’t find a single person that spoke English. They had huge bonfires and I know they were about to ceremonially cut the hair of all the three year old boys in their community. There was loud music, and then men got to dance! (girls only dance in private). Some of the boys in our group got to join the celebration while the girls found a balcony to get a good view of their dancing. I didn’t do any homework that night, and I was definitely unprepared for class. But it was such a good cultural experience…so I feel good about it. No regrets.

The next day I even had a dance party to “Call me Maybe” AND the call to prayer (at the same time)… on our balcony. We looked out over the old city/dome of the rock, etc. while dancing. Life is rough. This really is an incredible place. I can’t believe I’ve only been here for almost three weeks. It feels like it’s been so quick, but forever at the same time.

i'm not really bald. at the jewish holiday celebration with mary, steph, and analise!

at the mosque of the ascension with kenzi and megan

we loved paying five shekels for the mosque of the ascension. (you are looking at the entire site)

me and maddie

this is for you bree and joe! look, we're friends!
The rest of the week was just full of fun adventures but I don't have anything to say about them. I'm leaving for Turkey in an hour for a whole week!!!!!!! i love this place. 

1 comment:

  1. We love these updates and photos Hay. Please keep them coming! We miss that smiling face of yours (except in the sad picture at the Mosque of the Ascension...you are to funny!)I hope you will have a great time in Turkey. The Haga Sophia is on my bucket list so enjoy that one for me!! Love you to pieces!!!!!

    ReplyDelete